Who is eligible to apply for Equivalence/CESR?
Anyone who has obtained their qualifications and/or experience outside of the EU (EEA), or who has achieved their competencies outside of an GMC-approved approved training programme within the EU. See the GMC website for further information.

Who is not eligible to apply for Equivalence/CESR?
A doctor who has obtained the UK CCT or a European recognised EU (EEA) specialist qualification – as they may be automatically entitled to entry onto the Specialist Register.

How do I apply?
The application is made directly to the GMC. Please see their website for further information on how to apply.

What does the process involve?
Applications are assessed by the College’s equivalence committee and a recommendation is made to the GMC. A recommendation report is then written and sent to the GMC. It is a recommendation rather than a decision as the GMC do not have to agree with the College’s recommendation and can issue their own decision. The College has also produced a guidance document for new Committee Members, Educational Supervisors and applicants.

Can the College provide a letter stating my overseas qualification is equivalent to the FRCA?
Unfortunately it is College policy not to comment on the 'equivalence' of the FRCA to other qualifications – there is no direct equivalence.

How can I find out what documents are required for my equivalence application?
Information can be found in both the Specialty Specific Guidance and Generic Guidance available on the GMC website. Applicants should read this guidance very carefully because it defines the type of evidence applicants should provide to demonstrate their equivalence to a new CCT holder.

Will the College review my application before I submit it to the GMC?
No. The College can provide advice on the type of evidence required but will not review your application before submission nor provide any indication as to the likely success of the application. Applicants are encouraged to read the specialty specific guidance and generic guidance very carefully before submitting their application to the GMC.

What is an acceptable Test of Knowledge?
In addition to providing evidence of training and experience, applicants are required to demonstrate possession of an acceptable test of knowledge. The College maintains a list of previously accepted tests of knowledge.

What if my qualification does not appear on your list of acceptable tests of knowledge?
If your qualification is not in this list, evidence should be provided including a validated certificate of completion, with the full details of the curriculum and assessment criteria in force at the time of the award. This should be in English and validated by the institution.

What if my application is unsuccessful?
When the College makes a recommendation not to admit the applicant to the UK specialist register, the College explains why an applicant has been unsuccessful, the type of evidence required to demonstrate equivalence and if the evidence is not available, what the applicant could do to accumulate the required evidence. There is also a contact address for the College provided if the applicant has any questions.

If I need additional training, will the College arrange this for me?
No, the College does not arrange training. Applicants in the UK should speak with the College Tutor in their hospital to discuss the options for obtaining the additional training. Applicants can however contact the College to find out whether the proposed additional training is appropriate.

Can I apply for Equivalence for Intensive Care Medicine?
Yes, however it should be noted that Equivalence of training in ICM can only come into effect when equivalence has also been established in one of the parent specialties (i.e. anaesthesia, acute medicine, surgery) for further information on ICM Equivalence, please see the FICM website and the GMC Specialty Specific Guidance for ICM.


In this section: